Sunday, March 11, 2012

In Context



Offering up some words for Eden and her Fresh Horses Brigade
For me my inspirational words come from a long ago meeting of an immature and definitely insecure me and a man who lived on an island paradise.
I was holidaying in Paradise and having an amazing time, eyes wide open, absorbing the cultural shockwave. Then it was a case of me and my naivety "Next time I come I am staying at ................(insert name of flash resort)" This was my  preference after a month of cold water, geckos and yes the occasional glimpse of something that looked disturbingly like a rat lurking around the edge of the very, very budget accommodation I was in.
Wise man (who was probably the same age as me but a million years more learned) looked at me and in the most life-altering manner (for me) uttered these words "Same Sleep" These two words have formed the core values of my approach to what has been, at times, a life well tested.
 He meant "Same Sleep" in  reference to the fact that no matter where you end up resting your head for the night it is actually, for most, same sleep. It matters not where I am sleeping because sleep is the great equaliser. I'm asleep and my surroundings don't come into it.
I have applied the Same Sleep theory to many of the situations that we as westerners are confronted with every day.....where we live, what car we drive, how many things we can accumulate, what our social standing is, blah blah blah......I could go on and on, but the leveller for me is always, Same Sleep. This is my silent mantra which I now value more as my lifes journey has thrown up issues and situations where I could have been left striving for the unobtainable instead of being content with the status quo.

 Eden, these are my words. I consider myself fortunate to have had them gifted to me all those years ago.   Happy Birthday Eden and a beautiful Same Sleep to everyone . Try it you just might enjoy it. X



P.S One of the most incorrect and often quoted group of words happen to be these, as spoken by Malcolm Fraser, Australian Prime Minister (1975-1983) "Life wasn't meant to be easy" It was, in fact, a shortened quote originally  from  a George Bernard Shaw play "Back to Methuselah" the actual line  is...........
 Life is not meant to be easy, my child; but take courage: it can be delightful." 

(and yes it can for all of us)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm listening......................