Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Hurt House

 Once upon a time in, possibly October last year I was just walking when my back started to hurt a bit. By the end of that day, a Sunday, it was hurting A LOT. By the next day it was unbelievably painful.

 Herein begins the story of how I spent most of 2011, in pain. I have been X-rayed, CT scanned, ultra-sounded (!) injected, presrcibed to, ignored, dismissed and have just spent another intense night of agony. I am now waiting to see my doctor for an 8am appointment. Throughout all this I have worked at my full time job and cared for Little Bird, my daughter who is disabled. I am not writing this to earn some kind of badge of honour, I am writing this to question the merry-go-round of the medical system. Without pointing the finger at anyone, but one particular big shot medico comes to mind, I have to ask myself "Why is it still happening?"I have been told "Go home and do some Pilate's that might help" and that gem of advice came at the cost of over $200. It's the "Oh you  hurt do you?" ..............  oh- well- here- is- a -pill -mentality that is driving me insane (or maybe it's the medication.)I have shelled out hundreds and  hundreds of dollars on treatments and prescriptions and yes, I am in a private medical fund but the costs have been incredible.

It has been discovered, amongst other things, the main one  being compression  fractures in my back that irritate nerves, a clip that has been sitting nicely clamping one of my lady bits has become dislodged and has gone on a little journey and is presently  in front of my bladder (apologies to those of you who may be eating.)

Mmmmmmm now I'm no doctor I'm just the patient, but if the debilitating pain that has me doubled up in pain FOR HOURS and is not helped by a raft of painkillers, don't you think this might be worth investigating and like RIGHT NOW??

The last visit to the hospital at early morning desperation time produced, perhaps, the most insulting diagnosis EVER.......quote "Oh well it is Christmas time and people do eat foods that they don't normally eat so it could be that" Did she actually think I had swallowed the entire ham bone and for seconds filled up on an entire Christmas pudding?

Wish me luck it's appointment time..........I'm not feeling this way again for another DAY.

I'm back........along with a new round of prescriptions and an injection to try to ease the pain.
Seems like the medication I am taking for the back pain has produced the current situation,and I have the back pain  and need to take medication that causes the current situation , the merry-go-round...... I have sourced an explanation; 
Abdominal Colic. <symptom> Gradual onset of pain that increases in a crescendo fashion until it reaches a peak of severity and then slowly subsides. ........(sounds like an opera to me)... delightful......NOT.
In my case the "slowly subsiding" meant a series of peaks and valleys that persisted
                               a    l    l       n    i    g     h    t
I'm too tired to even think about it so hopefully there will be an answer and please make it soon. Pain is raining on my parade and I DON'T LIKE IT ONE BIT.

In reflection I realise I haven't written this, I have whined this piece. For all the people of the world who suffer because of life-threatening pain, or fear, or uncertainty, or hatred or who suffer from love itself, you have a harder road to travel than me.........just being self-indulgent and hoping that if I'm on the pain merry-go-round I can pick a pretty pony.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm listening......................