Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pride (Three good reasons)

I am extremely grateful for many things and take pride in some of my achievements that I have worked hard towards achieving. But they are just things and they could disappear in an instant. We can fill our lives with things and then pride our self on the accumulation of stuff.
There are threeVSP (very special people ) in my life that make me proud everyday. They are my children.

Yesterday was the first time I had ever spent one of their birthdays away from one of them........we like a birthday party/celebration round here. The reason was that my son, who had his birthday yesterday, is a member of the Australian Army and he was away on a training course to prepare for an overseas deployment later this year (gulp.....hard to wrap your mind around.) He fills my heart with pride.

His elder brother achieved one of life's goals last month. (Well most people's lives)  He purchased his own home, with all the confidence of an experienced property buyer. He has been promoted at his place of employment and he carries a lot of responsibility on his young shoulders. I am so proud of him.

Then there is my daughter, who will very soon celebrate a milestone birthday next week. She will never be employed nor will she ever own her own home as she has a rare genetic syndrome and she needs a carer everyday of her life. While this may hold her back on ever achieving what we believe will be the path our children may choose to follow, I am no less proud of her than I am of her brothers. Her achievements may be less noticeable than her brothers but everyday I find a reason to be so very proud of her. A doctors advice given when she was just 15 months old was "Put her in a home for disabled children, she will never walk or talk, just get on with your life"

Well I did just that. I put her in a home, our family home and I got on with my life giving love, care and support to all my children. So to that doctor and anyone who looks upon her with disappointment you have made an incorrect diagnosis. After countless years of therapies, procedures, and a whole lot of patience, she does walk and she does communicate (though you need me as an interpreter) and she does fill my heart with pride as she travels down a different path.

So Happy Birthday and congratulations to each of my children you are my pride and joy. We are travelling OK XOX.
From little things big pride grows.......


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm listening......................